DOMINION MANDATE DAILY DEVOTIONAL
SATURDAY, JANUARY 9, 2021
A GUIDE TO FASTING PROPERLY
BIBLE READING: MATTHEW 6:16-18
“At the evening sacrifice I arose from my fasting; and having torn my garment and my robe, I fell on my knees and spread out my hands to the LORD my God.” Ezra 9:5 (NKJV).
In the last two days, we have explored the right way to fast so as to get the benefits that come with humbling ourselves and seeking God’s face. However, we need to look at the different kinds of fast.
1. ABSOLUTE FAST/DRY FAST: This is also known as the Moses fast. In this kind of fast, you fast without taking food or water or any kind of physical nourishment. The maximum time recommended to practice this kind of fast, is three days. Going beyond that could put your life in danger. The human body cannot survive for much longer than that, without water. “Go, gather all the Jews who are present in Shushan, and fast for me; neither eat nor drink for three days, night or day. My maids and I will fast likewise. And so I will go to the king, which is against the law; and if I perish, I perish!” Esther 4:16 (NKJV)
Moses also practiced this fast and he did it for 40 days and nights, however, he was covered by God’s glory and his bodily functions were suspended; when he came down, his face glowed.
2. TOTAL FAST: This fast is also known as the water fast. It is a fast where you abstain from food, but take only water. Jesus practiced this fast after He was baptised by John the Baptist. Forty days is the length of time recommended for this type of fast. “Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry.” Matt 4:1-2(NKJV). From the scriptures, we can deduce that Jesus did drink water during this fast because it was not written that He was thirsty after the fast, rather, it was documented that He was hungry.
3. PARTIAL FAST:This fast, also known as the vegetable fast is one where you fast eating sweets, meats, and all rich foods but you only eat vegetables, fruits and water. It is a partial fast and is specially recommended for people whose activities require them to have energy to carry out their work. Daniel practiced this fast while he was a governor in the kingdom of Babylon. “In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.” Daniel 10:2-3(NKJV).
4. NORMAL FAST: In this fast, you abstain from food and water from morning until a certain time everyday, possibly 6pm.
Let us keep the following things handy as we fast:
- A Bible
- A Notebook
- Written down topics you must pray through.
- Christian books you must study Recommended reading:
i. The Blood Covenant by E.W. Kenyon.
ii. Marriage Covenant by Derek Prince.
iii. How to claim the Benefits of the Will by John Osteen.
iv. Unraveling the mystery of the Blood Covenant by John Osteen.
As we fast, pray, and seek God’s face over personal and corporate issues, our destinies will align with His plans and purposes.
Thank You Lord for this revelation today. I receive Grace to fast acceptably and get the maximum benefits of this spiritual exercise in Jesus Name, Amen.