DOMINION MANDATE DAILY DEVOTIONAL
TUESDAY, AUGUST 24, 2021
OVERCOMING SATANIC ATTACKS IN MARRIAGE
BIBLE READING: GALATIANS 5:16-23; 1CORINTHIANS 13; EPHESIANS 5:22-33
“Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled; but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.” Hebrews 13:4 (KJV).
We are in the Last Days and satan is using all the forces at his disposal to attack children of God, especially in the area of marriage. God Himself is the Manufacturer of the Marriage Institution and as such has the Manual with which to run marriage successfully and overcome all satanic attacks therein (see Jos. 1:8).
There is no marriage that exists without challenges. For instance, the first marriage between Adam and Eve suffered an attack from satan who succeeded in deceiving the latter, thereby resulting in the Fall of Mankind (see Gen. 3). The aforementioned attack came as a result of the violation of certain marital principles i.e., Eve assuming the leadership role rather than Adam and a breakdown in communication.
In view of this, every Christian married couple has a joint responsibility to decide and determine to practice the Principles of God governing marriage. This requires, amongst other things, walking in the Spirit in order to subdue the flesh (see Gal. 5:16-23) and utilizing Agape Love as a Weapon with which the devil is overcome in our marriages. Love is a determined decision by one to act sacrificially for the benefit of another unconditionally.
The following are basic ways the Language of Love is interpreted by a married couple:
HOW A WIFE SHOULD COMMUNICATE HER LOVE FOR HER HUSBAND:
1. Respect: The woman respects the man by obeying his instructions and not undermining his authority. Anytime a woman challenges her husband’s ideas and opinions, he sees it as disrespect which might lead him to treat her as a fellow man.
2. Submission: This is a portmanteau word i.e., “sub” meaning “under” and “mission” meaning “ideas, dreams, goals, etc.” According to Ephesians 5:22-24, wives are required to submit to their own husbands in all things. Submission is not weakness but strength under control.
3. Teachability: The woman needs this in order to receive direction from her head (see 1Pet.3:1-7; 1Tim.2:11-15).
4. Helpmeet: The woman is required to assist her husband and deputize on his behalf i.e., do things exactly as he would on the occasion of his absence (see Gen. 2:18).
5. Service: The woman’s primary responsibility in the home is to serve her husband and care for his needs (see Ps. 45:10-11). This involves placing him even above the children.
6. Sexual fulfilment: It is the duty of the woman to sexually satisfy her husband (see 1Cor. 7:2-5).
HOW A HUSBAND SHOULD COMMUNICATE HIS LOVE FOR HIS WIFE:
1. Words of Affirmation: As husbands, what you say to your wife and how you treat her matters a lot (see Eph. 5:25-26). She needs to be assured periodically with sincere words like “You’re so beautiful” and “I love you.”
2. Affection: Husbands must show their wives unconditional love, affection and tender loving care. (see Song 4). Every wife needs to be touched and caressed.
3. Provision: The husband is the designated breadwinner of the family so provide for your wife and children (see 1Tim. 5:8).
4. Honour: Husbands are expected to treat their wives with honour as precious jewels (see 1Pet. 3:7).
5. Leadership and Cultivation: The husband is both the family priest and the cultivator (hence the term “husband” from the word “husbandry”). Therefore, husbands must provide direction, spiritual covering and admonition for their wives and children (see 1Cor. 11:3).
Dear Lord, please help us to walk in the Light of Your Word and in the Fruit of the Spirit, which is Your Very Nature. Father, please help us overcome all satanic attacks in our marriages as we walk in the Spirit and walk in Love in Jesus’ Mighty Name. Amen.