DOMINION MANDATE DAILY DEVOTIONAL
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 2, 2021
SPIRITUAL HEALTH: THE KEY TO SPIRITUAL GROWTH
BIBLE READING: MATTHEW 5:1-12; PROVERBS 4:20-23; EPHESIANS 2:21
“Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.” 3John 2 (NKJV).
It is the Lord’s Desire that all believers grow up to become mature in Christ. The Scripture clearly states that, “The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree, he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon” (Psalm 92:12). We can clearly see that if our spiritual growth is a top priority to God Himself, then it should be likewise to us as Christians. However, the key to spiritual growth is spiritual health (see Prov.18:14).
Spiritual health is a state of well being and total wellness of one’s spirit man. The Bible makes us understand that man was created in three dimensions i.e., he is a spirit with a soul who lives in a body (see 1Thess. 5:23). Every one of these dimensions must be healthy, especially the spirit or the real man in order for growth and development to be unhindered. A healthy Christian inevitably has a healthy life the same way a healthy minister inevitably has a healthy ministry (see Prov.17:22).
In Matthew 5, during His Famous Sermon on the Mount, the Lord Jesus gave us the Beatitudes which serve as a template for the Quintessentially healthy believer. According to Matthew 5:3-12, the following are basic signs of a spiritually healthy believer:
1. Brokenness: “Blessed are the poor in spirit…(v.3)” — This refers to the quality of humility i.e., people who always show their dependence on God (see 1Pet. 5:5).
2. Fasting: “Blessed are those who mourn…(v.4)” — This refers to temperance which is exhibited through the practice of fasting and living a fasted life (see Psalm 35:13).
3. Meekness: “Blessed are the meek…(v.5)” — This refers to the quality of gentleness i.e., strength under control (see Matt.12:20).
4. Desire for the Things of God: “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness…(v.6)” — This refers to a genuine hunger and zeal for Spiritual Things (see Isa. 55:1-2).
5. Mercy: “Blessed are the merciful…(v.7)” — This refers to quickness to forgive those who have offended you (see Luke 6:36).
6. Purity of Heart: “Blessed are the pure in heart…(v.8)” — This refers to the quality of total integrity and zero tolerance for any internal defilement (see Psalm 15).
7. A Reconciliatory Spirit: “Blessed are the peacemakers…(v.9)” — This refers to makers and maintainers of peace who have mastered the art of conflict resolution (see Phil.4:2-3).
8. Standing for what is Right: Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake…(v.10)” — This refers to the quality of zero tolerance for wrongdoing and the readiness to always stand for the truth (see Isa.5:20).
9. Enduring hardship for the Sake of the Gospel: “Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My Sake…(v.11)” — This refers to the willingness to suffer persecutions and trials for the King and His Kingdom (see Acts 5:40-42).
Heavenly Father, we honour You today. Help us, O Lord, to become spiritually healthy in all areas that we may continually bring You Profit through our lives in Jesus’ Mighty Name. Amen.